Tuesday 14 December 2010

My agenda says I should archive my calendar in the right category.

This post is just about correcting some mispronunciations I hear regularly:

  • agenda: the g sounds like the “j” in “jet”, NOT hard like in “get”
  • archive: the ch sounds like the “k” in “kit”, NOT like the beginning of “chair”
  • calendar: the emphasis is on the first syllable (CAL-en-dar), NOT the second
  • category: emphasis falls on first syllable (CAT-e-gor-y), NOT the second.

See my other post on the word “architect”.

2 comments:

Benjamin Notheis said...

I am happy to claim that I haven't fallen into any of these traps so far! :)
You should blog here more often. This is really useful! Are you going to author a(nother) post on correct use of prepositions?

grp said...

That's a pretty broad topic! If you know of common errors, let me know. I'll keep on the lookout.